Thursday, February 4, 2010

Writing as a Performance

While writing to a friend on Facebook, the idea of this post came to me. The writers I have met are often introverted people. They feel comfortable behind the keyboard, but in most social situations are very quiet and shy. They are unsure if people will like their work. In fact, for many new writers this is commonplace.

I am a performer- I play the flute and piccolo in a symphony and many other places. I have been performing with the  theater and music since I was a kid. So for me, writing is just another performance.

I have my instrument (keyboard or pen), the music (in this case what I am writing about) and the world is my audience. I am confident in my skills and when I write it is a performance for my intended audience. While I do not hear applause, people send comments about my work.

There are good performances, and sometimes not so good, but I never question my ability as a writer. One bad piece does not mean that I should never pick up a pen again, no more than one bad note in a performance would mean that I would pack my piccolo away (however I may hide from the conductor for a bit!)

So when you are writing think of it as a solo you are about to perform for a packed house and when you write that last period, the audience comes to their feet for a 5 minute standing ovation.

No comments:

Post a Comment