Sunday, May 3, 2009

Repo- The genetic Opera

I am a huge movie buff and am guilty of going to see movies when they first come out. I read the reviews, I save my pennies for popcorn and drinks. Alright, I take out a small loan to buy popcorn and drinks. I always felt that I was on top of what was going on at the local cinema. So how in the world did I miss Repo- the genetic opera?

It did have a limited release, so I don’t have to beat myself up too much. A few weeks ago I saw the video sitting in the horror section at Walmart and did not really look at it too closely. I saw a preview on a video I recently rented. To my surprise it was a musical. That got my attention and then I looked a little closer to who was in it- Paul Sorvino, Alexa  Vega (Spy Kids), Sarah Brightman (Phantom of the Opera- London), Anthony Head ( Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Giles), and even Paris Hilton. I went to Best Buy with my Rewards Card Voucher and bought it. I sat down and was blown away!

 

It is the next generation of Rocky Horror Picture Show only a hundred times better- the music was rock opera, the story was right out of a classical opera set in the future in which people are buying replacement organs on credit only to have them repossessed if they miss a payment, and it is a graphic horror movie.

 

It is not the faint of heart. It is from the producers of “SAW” but it is so ridiculous it is easy to overlook the violence because they are singing and it is comical in parts. I read that there is a movie tour in the US and even Europe with a shadowcast much like Rocky Horror. You must rent or buy this movie. It is totally wild and awesome. I want the soundtrack now!

 

image

No comments:

Post a Comment