Thursday, February 19, 2009

Swaps and Black outs

Swaps and Black outs
  A lot has happened the last 24 hours. I have finished a number of projects, but my main one on Virtues did something weird. I was typing and all of a sudden it was gone- poof. I reverted back to a version that had 2000 less words. I was heart sick and I tried everything to recover it. It was just gone. So I rewrote till my eyes burned. Any comments? I run Vista and Word 2007.
On twitter I saw that a fantasy author was organizing books in her home. I suggested that she look in to www.paperbackswap.com. Her response was less than enthusiastic. She felt people should buy books new. I differ in that view. We are up to are necks in paper. I am a strong advocate for recycling and paperback swap allows me to trade books for FREE. The only thing we pay is shipping (less than $3 a book most times). You can trade audibooks, CDs and DVD's too. When you send a book you get a credit to get a book from someone else that is offering that book. All books hard back and soft cover are considered equal. I have found books that I have not read in years and many that are out of print. In this economy, why wouldn't you trade? $2 compared to what $30? I am a writer but I love the idea of my books being traded around. I do not feel I am losing revenue. In fact, if someone could test frive my work for less , they are more likely to buy my new books. So check out the site www.paperbackswap.com. Its free and its financially responsible.
I have an interesting aside about the above story. This morning paperbackswap began following me on twitter. How did they know....spooky.
The other thing, thanks to one of my favorite authors, Neil Gaiman, is that my face is blacked out on Twitter and Facebook. Stand up against "Guilt Upon Accusation" for New Zealand http://creativefreedom.org.nz/blackout.html.
It is an interesting site and cause. I use materials and quote them all the time. I sell the writes to my work as a ghost writer and strongly adhere to what that means. There are those that would like to take people like me down of the internet. No trial. No question. They want to come in like storm troopers and shut me down. If you want to hear a catchy copywrite song try this http://creativefreedom.org.nz/library/copywrong/creativefreedom.org.nz-the-copywrong-song.mp3
So there you are. A lot of deep things to think about. Go out and have fun today. Hug someone and bring joy to others.
Dr John

No comments:

Post a Comment