Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Recession blues- berries

I have spent most of the day writing about ways to cut back and prepare financially during this recession. It is a little depressing, but in some ways it is nostalgic. Lets go with nostalgic. Of course I am not old enough to remember the depression (although my girls would argue the point.)

Our communities have been torn apart by technology and fear. We spend more time on computers and watching television than we ever have. We stay indoors all the time. Do you know who your neighbors are? Could you name 10 people on your street?

Ever notice that new homes don’t boast front porches. Even on older homes, when was the last time you saw people sitting on their front porch and spending time together? When I see a person standing on a porch I think they are delivering a package, they’ve lost their keys or they are part of a SWAT team headed by Jack Bauer.

I do not have cable or satellite and do not have an antenna for any kind of television reception. It was just an expense I could no longer justify we needed. Now keep in mind I have a 14 year old and an 11 year old.

We do have a television and get $1.00 movies from REDBOX. (If you have not discovered REDBOX- go the www.redbox.com right now!) We watch our favorite television shows on www.Hulu.com for free when we want to.

So what have we gained? Well about $60 a month more in the budget for one, but more importantly we are spending more time together and TALKING. There is silence now where their used to be sound all the time from the tube. WE love it. We play board games now and create fantastic dinners as a family. No complaints, only, “Hey Dad can I cook tonight?”

No comments:

Post a Comment