Tuesday, April 14, 2009

How do you write about topics you are not an expert in?

 

When I wrote the book about Wedding Consulting, my friends, family and peers looked at me strangely. I am 6’1” of burley Italian man. Not the typical wedding planner persona. Although I would argue that I do not exactly fit the piccolo player persona either.

I usually respond two ways. The first is that I contact experts in the field that I am writing about. I get their perspective about the material matter and they supply tips for the readers. I take the the material they provide for me and shape it into a book. This is not the case for all the books, as the one I am currently working on about making wine, I do have some expert knowledge about.

The second way I approach it is that I do a ton of research. I read everything I can about the subject I am writing about. While this may not make me an expert, I can then spin the material I have learned from experts into a readable and easy to understand format. There is a saying that there are “ No new things under the sun.” While mankind does continue to evolve, we are building and spinning things in new and interesting ways, the material at its core is not new.

It is the job of a good author to make old knowledge or ancient plot to turn and develop it in a unique way. There might be new names, faces and backgrounds, but most good stories are eternal.

 

9781601381149

Check out what experts have to say about starting a wedding planning business. If you buy this book through my website, send me a message and I will mail you bonus book or material. http://osirispapers.books.officelive.com

No comments:

Post a Comment