Friday, April 3, 2009

Neighborhood Association

image

In my almost 40 years, I have never lived in a neighborhood, that was historic or had an association. I now live in both. I just received my first newsletter.

 

I know for some reading this, it does not seem that exciting, but it gives me hope. Sometime ago I asked the question why people did not sit on porches anymore. In my opinion it is because the concept of community and neighborhood is disappearing in America. The idea, that you actually know and talk with your neighbor seems foreign.

 

 

When I knocked on my neighbor’s doors yesterday, I was greeted with someone peeking out and not very happy to see me in the middle of the day. I am well groomed and pretty harmless, but even in this new neighborhood there was initial distrust and skepticism. Once I informed them I was their new neighbor, doors were flung open and I was warmly embraced.

One of my neighbors seemed totally amazed that I was knocking on doors and introducing myself. It was backed with a large smile and a hearty handshake. I genuinely felt welcome and appreciated. I left my email address with another neighbor and have already received emails from the neighborhood association. 

Images of days gone by when neighborhoods met, had BBQ’s and celebrated holidays together has come to life. There is even a garden club. Wait wasn’t that the background for the “Stepford Wives.”

1 comment:

  1. I love that we can know our neighbors in this town! When we lived in L.A., we didn't even know people in the same building as us, let alone people on our block. But here, everybody knows each other, people wave from their yards when you drive by, and southern people are perfectly okay with dropping in for no reason. I love it.

    ReplyDelete