Sunday, March 1, 2009

Snowy Mind Drifts

March started with a snowy blanket, which is fine but my oldest Sarah is sick. See when they finally get around to making it a law requiring couples to have a license to have children, which I feel confident there should be, there will be a class called body fluids 101. I am convinced that unless you have cleaned after a child is sick, at least once, they should revoke your parent card. You just can not truly understand the joys of it all, without experiencing it. So without going into gory detail I will leave it at that!

I am constantly shocked that we live in a generation of folks that have such a high level of self importance mixed with an expectation of entitlement, that it makes me want to choke at times. I am often hired to find musicians and hire them for various gigs in the area. I am befuddled by the number of people that feel like they are slighted in some way if I don’t call them “first” for a gig. Now I have a large pool of musicians that I hire from and make a decisions based upon musicianship, attendance and reliability. If they do a good job and I don’t have any trouble with them, I would be more likely to hire them in the future. This is not a guarantee, and I am not required to do so.

I receive the calls and emails of grown adults whining that they did not get picked. Is this some left over issues from kickball games during recess?  This is business, and I treat it that way. There are no favorites, only the best musicians for the job. I think that there is some illusion that if I get pestered enough or am threatened with “ I will talk to you boss,” that I will in someway cave in. Actually the opposite is true.

Well enough of my bellyaching. I am off to write about WILD WINES!!

 

John

No comments:

Post a Comment