Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Longevity

I have learned that in the writing business, that after a year of creating books that I now have longevity. I am outliving my editors. I guess I should thank the writing Gods for their blessings.

 

I started writing full time August 2007. In that time I have had 5 books published and 2 on the way. I have written for three magazines on a regular basis and had more freelance work then I can handle. I don’t live in NY or LA or any other large metropolitan city you can recognize with two letters. (unless you can recognize WS)

 

I have a BS degree in psychology and a Phd in Natural Health. So what is my secret of relative success?

 

I can break it down to two points.

 

The first is hard work. Being self employed and working from home is some of the hardest, most constant work I have done in my life. Even as a musician I have breaks. As a writer my waking and sleeping mind are constantly working and churning. Don’t get me wrong, I totally love it. People ask me if I am near burning out and my response is that I wish their more hours in the day to write.

 

The second point is that I am always working on the next project. I do not allow lag time. I use time each day looking for new projects and bolstering marketing efforts. I do this through blogging, social networking and bidding on projects on sites such as Elance.

 

My word of advice NEVER EVER give up. 9781601382276

No comments:

Post a Comment