Friday, March 27, 2009

Sitting In A Library

 

I guess this is the place where I am a “Super Star.” The public library. It is here that I can scan the shelves and find my name. Kind of cool.

Today school is out and there are children scampering around like mice. The librarians who are speaking loudly about where they are going to lunch are shushing the children.

It brings me back to my childhood. I was an odd child that would spend hours in a library. During the summer my parents worked, so I would ride my bike with sandwich in tow to spend the entire day at the library.

For me, it is a magical place. There are so many choices of places to go, it was like a literary train stop. At the library in my hometown they had these carpeted wooden tubes you could crawl into in the nooks and crannies of the children’s section. They had a hole in the top to allow light in.

I remember grabbing Tolkien, Herbert and other fantasy writers while I crawled in a tube and would be transported all day.

cover-the-lord-of-the-rings1

The library also had a room with type writers. All I had to bring was paper. I would type up science fiction stories about wars in space, and a reluctant retired space general. I guess I was already stamped and ready to ship to writer’s land.

Have a great day and visit a library soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment