Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Creation of a Book part 2

One of the first things I do in creating a non fiction book is to gather research materials. My publisher sends me whatever books I may need (I am lucky in this respect as not all publishers will do this). I also look for online resources.

As I am gathering the online resources I am making a list of where and what time I gathered the materials. If at all possible I use these materials for research and rarely quote them, as it is sometimes hard to ascertain the actual author and websites change so often. This  why it is important to note when you collected the information. Later in these posts I will deal with the formatting of a bibliography.

For my beer book I have about 6 resources for making beer at home and as many for growing grains, hops and herbs. Now it is a matter of actually getting the words on the page!

Subscription Starbucks Coffee 12-servings Extra Bold Starbucks VIA™ Ready Brew Italian Roast Coffee, Italian Roast, Instant

1 comment:

  1. I am reposting this from facebook for a friend there- D Yoder.

    Hey John...I read the segment you wrote about research...how your publisher sends you books you might want to use in research...that is fantastic....I use the public library system online and reserve what I think I might like...I really like the research part of a project...feels like a treasure hunt!

    ReplyDelete