Friday, February 26, 2010

Weaving a Book

I mentioned earlier that I am working with two life/executive coaches on a book that deals with shifting your focus to a more holistic view of success. They are the thread, I am the weaver.

Every week we meet on Skype- which is wonderful because we can all talk for free from anywhere. We use Google docs to manipulate what we are working on because we can update and add to it in real time.

I am the pusher, the motivator, the focuser. They are the creators, the collaborators and really the experts. It is fun and for the most part a productive set up.

One of the things we discussed early on was our roles in the book, and even more importantly the business part. By this I mean we came up with what each person would be contributing and what part of the proceeds we would receive once the book is published. This is SO important, because if these things are not hammered out early on, it can really become a problem and even destroy a project later on.

Take the time and WRITE it out. Do not rely on just verbal agreements, because if you are like me, what I said yesterday and even last week may be replaced with other things I cram into my head on a daily basis.

There are so many exciting parts about this process and book, that I will share them through the coming weeks. However, if you want to know what is actually in the book- then I encourage you to buy a copy!

The Asja Guide to Freelance Writing: A Professional Guide to the Business, for Nonfiction Writers of All Experience Levels

No comments:

Post a Comment