Monday, February 22, 2010

Getting that next job

I never sit idle and wait for the next job to come after completing a project. I stack them up and so when I complete one project, I already have the next one waiting.

I spend time each day looking for new projects. I do this in a few different ways:

1. Contact old clients with a friendly email to remind them i am still out there. This works a lot of the time.

2. Look on job boards. The one I use the most and have had the best luck with is Elance.com. Even though there is a monthly fee, the quality of the clients and the customer service when you need assistance cannot be beat.

3. Go through my list of topics I want to write about and send out query letters to magazines and publishers.

I work on this everyday, and I have kept a full time job of freelance writing going for almost three years. Trust me, don’t wait and have lag time unless you are independently wealthy.

Get a Freelance Life: Mediabistro.com's Insider Guide to Freelance Writing

2 comments:

  1. Well said... there is no need for lag times.

    BTW, love the ink-spilled image!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I leave it up there so maybe I can afford that pen. Its all about the gear- that is a USB Fountain pen- about $1400. Someday! Thanks for you comment. I put your blog in my favorites and visited.

    ReplyDelete