Monday, February 8, 2010

Telling a Story

As a writer- you have to learn how to tell a story. I was reminded of that when a friend from the symphony told me her story about her hurt foot.

Her: “So I saw on the Internet that you have a Phd, what is that in again?”

Me: “Natural Health- you know herbs and stuff.”

Her:” Oh yeah that is really cool- so can you help me with my hurt foot?”

Me:” Sure how did you hurt it?”

Her:” I hurt it in a car wreck and I twisted my ankle while I was running.”

Me: “Ok , so you will want to soak your foot in warm water with Epsom sal…wait a minute, you twisted it when you were running.”

Her": “ Yeah , well actually when I jumped over the fence, the details are not important…”

Me:” Why were you running from the scene of an accident?”

Her:” Really the details are not important, It’s just my foot hurts.”

Me: Long stare.

Her:” Ok – we were at this gas station and these guys were robbing it. We took off and they followed us and we panicked and wrecked the car. We ran when the police came and when I jumped over the fence I twisted it.”

Me:” Didn’t you think maybe you looked a little guilty running from a car wreck?”

Her:” The police knew we were innocent silly…”

Me:” But how? Never mind. Soak the foot, take some Chondroitin to heal the cartilage.”

Her:” Gee thanks, John.”

Me: Hold out hand.

Her: “What?”

Me:” That’ll be 50 bucks.”

LiveJournal Tags: ,,,

ronnie

I did not get paid, but it makes a great story.

2 comments:

  1. "Her" delivery was crude and it's clear this may not be a true story or it's far to crazy to say to anyone you work with. I always knew bass players were a little wild.

    ReplyDelete
  2. uhh- string....you seem vaguely familiar

    ReplyDelete